Thursday 1 December 2011

A Farmer's Wife Quilt-a-long

Have you ever wanted to make a sampler quilt.  How about a sampler quilt made from 6 inch squares.  The Farmer's Wife book has 111 six inch blocks.  I have decided to use it as a basis for my sampler quilt.  If you would like to join me, I will begin posting regularly every Monday starting in 2012.


The book gives templates for hand piecing all the blocks.  Sorry, I don't do templates.  As much as possible I will give directions to rotary cut using the Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers. Click here and then click on each of the rulers to see how they are supposed to be used. Sometimes I will be using them a little different, just because that is what I do.  You will need to purchase a copy of the book to follow along.


Now to inspire you, I will give directions for the first two blocks.  This block is called Autumn Tints.


For the four patch, cut two strips 2" wide.  Sew together, and then sub cut into 2" sections  Join together to make four patch units as shown below.  Cut two 3 1/2" squares for the alternate pieces.


Lay out your block and sew together.  I am using scraps of batiks for my quilt.  Feel free to use whatever fabric you like.  Since the blocks are only 6 inches, you don't need much for each block.


This block is actually the first in the book, and it is called Attic Windows.



Using a 4 1/2" strip of fabric, use the easy angle ruler to cut two pieces as shown above.  Use a 2 1/2" strip to cut the pieces adjacent to the inner square, using the same method.  Cut the inner square 2 1/2".



Now the fun begins.  Using a 2 1/2" strip, place the ruler so that the 4 1/2" line is on the left hand squared off end of your strip.  Cut.  Now flip the ruler on it's axis so that the 4 1/2" line is even with the top of the strip.  Cut.


You now have all the pieces you need.  The inner row should be fairly easy to sew together.


To add the 2 1/2 x 4 1/2" pieces you need to line up the fabric as shown above.  The little tail on the light blue should cross the inner row, right at the quarter inch mark.  This will give you a nice straight line when pressed. This method may be used any time you are sewing units together that have angles involved.  Add the 4 1/2" brown pieces last.  Scroll back up to the picture if you have any questions about placement.

I hope you will join in on the fun.  You may make all of the blocks, or just a few.  There is no deadline or pressure to finish.  The point is to have a little fun.  If you have any questions, please e-mail me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are doing this. I'll definitely join you! I bought the book a while ago but set it aside...time to pull it off the shelf and start picking fabric! Yoohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the clarity of your directions, and the use of the rulers. Great pics. Keep up the good work.
    Val

    ReplyDelete